Galactic Navigation

kennworl

Galactic Navigation

Post by kennworl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 am

Here's a thought....how do you navigate through the galaxy? If I go beyond 50ly away from Sol, I'm hopelessly lost. Well, maybe not that bad, but if I want to make my way to somewhere far away....say the center of the galaxy....how do I plot a course and stay on it given I have to pick and choose destinations in a consistent general direction?

If I wanted to undertake a great quest (Think Starblazers, Battlestar Galactica, or ST Voyager) across the galaxy, there is no way to navigate. Ideas?

nozmajner

Re: Galactic Navigation

Post by nozmajner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am

I'v played around with some mockups a while ago about the sector map. There might be some interesting points there, like the bookmarks, and route saving. Purely mockup though, on the old-newUI, so it needs quite some rethinking for imGUI.
The image links are broken (bye-bye picasa), but they are all here in this album.

kennworl

Post by kennworl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am

Wow! Mind Blown! Please forgive, but I don't have a creative bone in my body and I am insanely jealous of them folks that do. Mockups look very cool, and I see that some ideas made it to code (ecraven to thank I guess). I love the idea of the route planner. That's exactly what I mean. I shall have to peruse further. :-)

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 pm

The galaxy map (F8) shows your approximate position in the galaxy. The procedural star density is derived from that image.

Shift+arrow keys in sector view does super-fast scrolling.

kennworl

Post by kennworl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Yes, I had just gotten that far nosing through the galaxy generator. That's what prompted me to think about plotting courses at a galactic scale. Love the course plotter idea. It would encourage much more exploration. Particularly if there were legends and rumours of super tech civilisations or other wonders in distant sectors posted in the billboards of stations.

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

We should make is to that you have to have a crew for long trips to make repairs in flight, if there are no starports > 700 ly from 0,0. "Mechanic"? Or any crew will do? A bit off topic, but we're looking for good reasons and mechanics to have a crew.

kennworl

Post by kennworl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am

I was thinking similar things. Not only would you have a crew to fill the traditional posts, but that crew would get better the more trips you do. I'm sure they already have some sort of rating. Yet to explore that one. So an engineer rating would affect how long ship components last, and how quickly repairs are done, or if certain repairs can be done in-flight, what performance you can squeeze out of ships systems (eg. 110% out of the reactor). Science officers would be able to detect ships or other stuff from further away and make quicker identifications, tactical officers (yes I'm drawing from Star trek - sue me) could get more out of shields and weapons (and miss less if shooting becomes automatic). Navigation officers could plot more efficient courses in terms of time or fuel depending on what you want, and get more out of the thrusters (though that would also be an engineering thing). If you have passengers, then a medic might be nice in case they get sick, or to get more out of the life support systems (to pack in more people). Comm officers who influence any interactions with ships or stations to charm/intimidate, buy things cheaper, sell for more, etc. It would also be nice if they put up random messages on screen giving status of ships functions.

Just an observation, but the mechanics of the game are still a little simple yet to warrant a crew (IMHO), but it is very easy to go too far with complex mechanics. We'll find the balance.

FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am

From a purely technical standpoint actual route plotting would need something like this:
1. get start and end sectors
2. find all sectors lying along and around a the line between those points
3. get all stars from those sectors
4. calculate "cost" to get from one star to another
5. find path using those "costs" using A* or similar algorithm.
6. store route somewhere so you can draw it in sectorview
7. update progress along route somehow

kennworl

Post by kennworl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Ok, really off topic, but I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool if while selecting missions off the bulletin boards, your crew could offer advice or critism but as captain you have the final say...which could make them grumble during the mission. Sometimes I pick up cargo runs to different places with similar names (particularly Banards Star ports) accidently. The Nav officer could point out that a mission is in a completely different direction to one already accepted. Or your comms officer could point out that you are being ripped off when buying cargo. Or your engineer could objectively apprise a piece of equipment as crap. Just wanted to record the thought.