Custom systems

impaktor

Re: Custom systems

Post by impaktor » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

@Spiffor we've now merged a change that moves starting location to Mars, maybe you could help us and check updating the wiki

Spiffor

Post by Spiffor » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:21 pm

WKFO wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 am
I guess this summarises the fight between Feds and CIW.
Not really : the fight between CIW and Sol is well written in the wiki and well summarized in the Epsilon Eridani's description.

The history of Ayizan is more peripheral : like all other pre-FTL colonies, Ayizan has been isolated for three centuries and branched into something original.

When hyperdrive arrived, Sol wanted hegemony over all these worlds, with various results:
- All-out war with Epsilon Eridani and its allies (like 1 Orionis)
- Relief for 61 Cygni, which could finally import what it needed to survive before its habitable planet turned definitely unliveable
- Guerilla in Ayizan, which never earned the system's independence, but has been a constant thorn in the side of the federation
- Etc. I have some other stories in mind (for example, I imagine Tau Ceti as the stage of a bitter rivalry between two planets colonized by two separate colony ships, only to become a united system in the hyperspace era)

Spiffor

Post by Spiffor » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank you all for your support, it really means to me, and motivates me to continue :)

@Fluffyfreak : thanks for the merge!
I forgot to add the Ayizan-Lacaille8760 system in my PR, so I made a new pull request.
However, I'm a Github noob, and my new PR shows all my commits so far, including the ones you already merged :o

@Impaktor
about the comments in the lua files
I'm now putting a comment about how I came up with the names after the long description.
I've been using this method with Ayizan-Lacaille8760 and with Delta Eridani.
Not only does it helps the future contribuors, its also a way to explain the names come from the public domain and cannot be an infringement of copyright

about the wiki
I'll think about it, seriously.
I'm a bit frustrated writing 5-6 paragraphs for a system (but that's the right thing to do), because my idea is more a short story of 2-3 pages.
A friend of mine advises me to first write the whole story somewhere, and then to summarize it in the system description. I might well write the whole story in the wiki, it could be an inspiration for future lore (a "pure fluff" module?)

About the names you gathered
Thanks :) They'll serve as inspiration in future custom systems!

Spiffor

Noril / Wolf 1061

Post by Spiffor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 pm

New system done :)

As usual, any comments are welcome! The system has been fully tested and should work without problems by downloading the spiffor_systems.zip modfile to your \pioneer\mods folder.

Wolf 1061 / Noril

Faction : SolFed
Short description : Federal Industrial Colony

Bodies' names are inspired by USSR factory-cities : Norilsk, Kisselevsk and Seversk.
Uninhabited planets keep their generic names, as the Federal bureaucracy didn't bother to name them
Cities are named after fictional companies. Their names are generated with http://www.businessnamegenerators.com/. A quick search lets think there is no actual company with those names.

Long description:
Founded in 2786, Noril is an industrial system, and one of the oldest "Mill worlds" under Federal Rule.
After the War of Hope, the Solar Federation raced against the Commonwealth of Independent Worlds to colonize new systems faster than its competitor. To that effect, corporations were incented to settle new worlds under Federal rule.
As per the "Colonization act 2778-1266" a company could claim large parts of a planet, and would get various benefits : long-term tax cuts and subsidies, strong police protection against piracy, as well as lax labor or environment regulation. In exchange, that company would have to build all initial infrastructure -the factories, the living quarters, the government and military buildings- with its private funds.
Noril became known as the "child of Mrs Bureaucracy and Mr Corporate Greed". The founding corporations built their Mill towns for cheap. Really cheap. Settlers quickly discovered the buildings' shoddiness and the near absence of amenities. Meanwhile, the Federation had to raise taxes in its core systems to fund its stretched out forces, and to repair the subpar infrastructure.
With hindsight however, the "Colonization act 2778-1266" was a success. It claimed many systems which remain in the Federation until this day. It also prevented the creation of quite a few independant corporate worlds.
Furthermore, several Mill towns have turned into successful cities. Travellers are advised to visit Octoscent, "City of Eternal Crimson"; not only for its museums located in the (now bankrupt) Octoscent Corp headquarters, but also to feel the impetus of its small businesses, art galleries and pubs.

Screenshot of Octoscent, the "city of eternal crimson"
Last edited by Spiffor on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Sweet.

I'm not a native speaker, but to me this sounds better:
"which remain in the Federation until today." --> "....until this day"

"Besides, several Mill towns have turned into successful cities." I'm not sure "Besides" is optimum word. "In addition, ..."? or "However, ...."? or "Furthermore, ..."?

I'm thinking we could put russian people in this system (i.e. BBS people use the russian random name generator). Any russian sounding city names? "Kopek city"? Nah, just joking. Russia and private corporations sounds weird with communism in hind sight, but it works. Who knows what will become of Russia by 2786. Or I'm reading in too much in how you named the planets :).

By the way, I'd love to see some (any) settlement in Fomalhaut, so that we can have missions generated there. Same with Wolf 359, and Ross 154, all three of Frontier fame. Is our current Kapteyn's Star settled? Or Van Maanen's star? Just some life in these would be nice. Or even abandoned mining station (= very small city), or research station.

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:49 pm

@Spiffor: nice one again. You should definitely flesh these out even more on the wiki, if you'd like.
For Wolf 359 I was planning to do an easter egg for the audio drama series, if that amounts to anything. But don't hold back because of that.

Spiffor

Post by Spiffor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks all for your input :)

I'll change the text to include your words, you're right :+1:

The next system I'm working on is Tau Ceti, and I think about working on Kapteyn's Star afterwards (both are supposed to be CIW as per the wiki, and are uninhabitated yet).

I remember fondly Ross154 form Frontier and its pink sky, but I don't have Frontier on my comp and I can't mimic it. Anybody feels like giving me info on how it's made in Frontier? Thanks

As for Wolf 359, it's a good idea to write easter eggs!
It brings some fun and lightheartedness, and is a nice change of pace with my system descriptions (which are informative but will end up being boring if there's too much of the same tone).
However, as I don't know the audio drama series, the best is that you write the backstory.
I'm becoming quite adept in coding systems (well, mimicking the system as generated), and I could create the system for you to write the story in.

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I remember fondly Ross154 form Frontier and its pink sky, but I don't have Frontier on my comp and I can't mimic it. Anybody feels like giving me info on how it's made in Frontier? Thanks
Pioneer is no longer a Frontier clone, so we/you can do whatever you like with it.

My main point was just that it would be nice to see those system names pop up in the BBS for missions every now and then (i.e. for those system to be populated).

You mean the Wolf 359 podcast? I haven't listened to it, but I know john_cephalopoda and nozmajner have, maybe they have points on what the back story could be, and names of places in it.

Spiffor

Post by Spiffor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I've started writing a bit in the wiki

I've added the description and screenshots of the 61 Cygni and 1 Orionis systems

As usual, comments are welcome, and don't hesitate to edit the pages!

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 am

I've started writing a bit in the wiki
I think that stuff looks like it could be automated. It looks nice, but I'm just saying that I think the work will be outdated if we change the random seed of the universe (unless it's a hand coded system), and if so, we should be able to do some script that spits out much of that automagically, so perhaps your time can be better spent. But do what you like best.