Terrain Texturing

A quieter space for design discussion of long-term projects
FluffyFreak

Terrain Texturing

Post by FluffyFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Well apparently I let myself get goaded into trying to implement terrain texturing despite knowing that the height normalisation would bite me on the arse.

To quote myself from the other thread:
FluffyFreak wrote:Ah ha! Starting to get there now!

Looks like my height and slope calculations were wrong for a start, also the indexing LUT texture will need to be customised / rebuilt.

Ah but sweeet sweet progress! :)

FluffyFreak

Re: Terrain Texturing

Post by FluffyFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Still to do:

* Repeat the texture for lower (/higher?) LODs - basically the highest detail LOD needs to show the texture 1:1, the next highest at 2:1 and so forth.
* Build a new LUT, or a way of automatically building LUTs, that includes water where needed and doesn't where not.
* Build a way of building the texture atlases, not all terrain has plant life and green grass!
- Create a library of texture patches to go into the generated Atlas textures.
* Encode the specular into the alpha channel so that water, ice, rocks, dirt, sand etc can all have different specular values.
* Decide if we need or want normal maps - it would let me get rid of the normal from the terrain vertex and reduce the vertex size to 32bytes again as well as possibly looking much nicer.
* What else can we encode into texture data that would be useful?
* Profit!

Brain's gone blank, stupid day job taking all of my thinkening powers!

impaktor

Post by impaktor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 pm

FluffyFreak wrote:Still to do:
* Build a new LUT, or a way of automatically building LUTs, that includes water where needed and doesn't where not.
Water specifically or any kind of fluid?

FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:39 pm

impaktor wrote:Water specifically or any kind of fluid?
Actual proper water, or liquid surface, that's animated and stuff is beyond the scope of this bit of R&D.
This will just be a coloured texture that get's applied to places that have no slope and are at the lowest height - I'll try to make the colour match whatever the liquid on the planet would be, blue water, blue/green water, etc.

In reality though it'll look a lot like our current system does.

In future I hope we can do more with water, allowing heights below 0 (or shifting the base land height upwards or something) so that we can have underwater areas and then having an proper animated water mesh like in Outerra or something.
However that's completely outside the scope of this.