Using an exe built from my branch above, startup the modelviewer with some quick to load ship like "pioneer -mv varada". Once it's loaded press "a" to create and show an asteroid.
You can then press "a" to toggle it on or off, or press "a + left-shift" to have it delete that asteroid and make you a new one.
Some screen grabs:
There are obvious problems at the moment.
- texture deformation - triplanar mapping would be better - done
- triplanar blending issues - can be solved with other bright ideas.
- texture repetition - slope/angle of the surface should be used to pick between different textures, jagged rocky faces for "vertical" surfaces and sandy/dusty plains for horizontal or flatter ones.
- underlying sphere still visible at times - this is caused by poor distribution of the bumps across the surface, needs better random-points-on-a-sphere
- uniform bump type - bumps all have linear falloff with distance and are positive or negative, and that's it. Craters and different falloff rates should be perfectly possible, including non-circular.
I have no idea how to decide WHERE in a star system the asteroids should go or what type they should be,
These are the things people could help me with:
- generate the location(s) of asteroid belt(s) - pick points within them to place asteroids.
- other locations not in belts like Trojans.
- decide what type of asteroid goes where.
HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED ON THIS ONE! Some stuff I've listed is just taxing my brain too it's limits.